Solar Roasted Vegetables

I truly love oven-roasted root vegetables and wanted a way to emulate that taste in a solar oven. I'm aware you'll get more of a steamed effect in an-all dark pot in a solar cooker so I tried the bottom of my 3qt granite ware roaster with a glass lid from another pot. Here are about 3 big Yukon Gold potatoes (chunked), 2 onions, about a pound of small-diameter carrots (or split lengthwise to cook more quickly), 6 fat garlic cloves, a heavy sprinkling of Cavender's All Purpose Seasoning and a glug of Olive Oil. 

I use the All-Season-Solar Cooker by Solcook.  


Tossed, covered with a glass lid and put between 2 4qt. Pyrex bowls, they were set out and cooked for two hours. By over-cooking a bit, the vegetables had the chance to caramelize and did indeed get that 'roasty' taste. There was about 1/4" of vegetable stock in the bottom which was added to the stock I made gravy with.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Stewed Apples

All-Season Solar Cooker

Solar Meatloaf Burgers