Solar Garlic Mashed Potatoes

You can make mashed potatoes from baked potatoes, so I decided to try it solar style. I set the potatoes out in the solar cooker and almost immediately the sky clouded over and stayed that way all afternoon. Since I had already washed the potatoes and prepped the garlic head for roasting, I put them all in the oven, covered, at 375F since I was baking this afternoon. In about 50 minutes in the oven the potatoes were VERY soft (very important) and the head of garlic nicely roasted and soft. ROASTED GARLIC INSTRUCTIONS. Check the potatoes with a knife.  I would estimate on a sunny day that the time would be about 2 1/2 hours in the solar cooker. I use the All-Season-Solar Cooker by Solcook.  

Solar Garlic Mashed Potatoes

2+ lb Yukon Gold Potatoes 
1 whole head Garlic
1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) melted Butter
1/2 cup unsalted or low-sodium Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Heavy Cream OR Half-and-Half OR Evaporated Milk
1 teaspoon Salt


Just recently I've decided that using a ricer is the absolute best way to make mashed potatoes. It produces the creamiest, richest tasting potatoes without ever getting gummy. HERE'S HOW TO DO IT. I cut each potato in half and loaded it cut-side down in the ricer.


When the potatoes are riced, squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes and mix gently and thoroughly with a fork. Add the 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup cream OR half-and-half OR evaporated milk, melted butter and salt and stir very well.


Creamy, sinfully rich mashed potatoes. Life is good. Also, your house will smell like roasted garlic. I need to pitch that to the people who make room fragrances. This made 6 cups of mashed potatoes.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Stewed Apples

All-Season Solar Cooker

Solar Meatloaf Burgers