Solar Stewed Apples

The day started out a little cloudy so I decided to make something that normally doesn't require much cooking, Stewed Apples. Most of the recipes I checked called for 15-20 minutes cooking time. The sky cleared (mostly) later in the afternoon so it was a go. I use the All-Season-Solar Cooker by Solcook.  

Stewed Apples 

1 3lb bag of apples, peeled, cored and cut in chunks
2 generous Tablespoons (or more) melted butter
1/4 cup Honey or sweetener of your choice to taste
2 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice
   feel free to sub spices of your choice, I like the combination
2 Tablespoons of All-Purpose flour OR 1 Tablespoon of Gluten-Free flour
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

Peel, core and cut apples into chunks. I put them in a bowl of water with a splash of lime juice to keep them from darkening, but that isn't necessary if you'd rather skip this step..


Place the apples in the pot you've decided to use. I used a 3-quart granite wear pot with lid. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir very well to distribute over the surface of the apples. The purpose of the flour is to thicken the sauce, much like an apple pie filling. Many all-purpose gluten-free flours are a little more 'gooey' than regular wheat flour so I use less. Taste and adjust for desired sweetness and spice. No additional liquid is required, the apples and flour make just enough sauce.


The apples were done at 2 hours, but I wanted a softer texture so I let them cook 3 hours. Tastes like apple pie! You can imagine how good it tasted warm with a scoop of ice cream.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All-Season Solar Cooker

Solar Meatloaf Burgers