Solar Black Bean Soup


My All Season Solar Cooker (ASSC) arrived earlier than expected, before I had done the shopping, so I searched the pantry and refrigerator for an easy entrĂ©e to start with. I found 2 cans of Black Beans I'd been meaning to 'do something with'; a can of HEB's equivalent of Rotel (diced tomatoes and chilis) and odds and ends in the fridge. I searched the web and found THIS SPICY BLACK BEAN SOUP and adapted it to what I had. I use the All-Season-Solar Cooker by Solcook.  

Black Bean Soup

2 15.5 cans of Black Beans
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 10oz. can of Rotel (or store brand equivalent)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion or 1cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup or 1/2 diced green bell pepper
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup or 3 diced celery stalks
6 fat cloves garlic (or more), minced
1 Tablespoon chili powder



I used a the largest Texsport Black Ice pot inside two Pyrex 4qt bowls for this setup. In an hour the inside chamber was reading 225 on the oven thermometer I had put in there. I gave it 4 hours of cook time for a total of 5 hours. Most of the time the temp was 275F and by the end it was topping out at 300F+.


When I brought it in the vegetables and beans were soft but still chunky. I used a potato masher to smoosh it up and get the creamy texture I wanted.


Black bean soup with the brown rice I cooked in the solar cooker yesterday. A dollop of Greek yogurt is a great sub for Mexican Crema. A splash of salsa because that's how I roll.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Stewed Apples

All-Season Solar Cooker

Solar Meatloaf Burgers